Saturday 17 November 2012

Strategies for wellness


Today I was able to attend church, like i said I would. I went with an open mind and a determination to put the past behind me and see the present and the future for what it brings my way. So I did that and felt quite happy with myself with my achievement as it took alot of guts just to walk into the hall. But I was rewarded cos what I heard encouraged me further and gave me some support during this hard time of crisis with having a sick grandfather etc.

The weather today is absolute rubbish, raining. So will use the time wisely to do something practical in the way of cleaning up the house. I have chosen to sort out my footwear. Finally put them away in my room and not just have them in a box downstairs from my last move.

I have been using strategies lately to keep myself well. Such as getting more involved in the cleaning of the house, and cooking meals, experimenting with recipes and ingredients. Doing this makes me realise how much I miss not being a housewife. A little wife, having my own kitchen, to myself. Aww how i long for the day when I am in charge of a household. At the moment I will just have to make do with the make shift kitchen I have at present at my parents.

I went for a long walk with my dog and realised when my feet hit the pavement that it was grounding me in a positive way, and improving my mood, as I had a purpose. My dog needed a walk, and so did I personally. As I walked through the town I saw families and couples in the many restaurants and cafes and realised how important it is to remember to embrace moments in life because you never know when its going to be your last. Once a moment is gone you cannot get it back all you have is a memory, thats why photos are so important so you can look back on precious times.

I guess i have really started to examine life and its purpose since finding out about my sick grandfather. He is at a ripe old age of 76 and I am only 29 there is so much life left to live. I guess I dont want to take it for granted. At least my grandfather is sitting around at 76 saying to himself I have no regrets, Ive had a lovely life with my wife, and I have had some wonderful kids, and I have some grandchildren and even one great grandchild. He feels fullfilled. He knew one day he was going to leave this earth so hes made the most of the time he had here to do good. He also has a faith that has kept him strong, given him something to be sure of.  Likewise I need to do the same reach out for what I can achieve now that my medication is working properly. I need to reach out for a career that is in my grasp, and start to let people back in my life so that I have friends. That means opening myself up which is a scary prospect but if you dont open yourself up to people you dont meet individuals who can make life enjoyable, yes there may be heartbreak, but I have survived more than that. Its time to open up to possiblities of life. Find a life that I to can be proud of living just like my grandfather is proud of the life he has lived. Well spent and purposeful...

Just some ideas that have been rolling around in my mind.

I want to make a difference, I hope I can do that. Tell people there is more than mental illness out there and if you can get to the other side then dont allow yourself to go backwards. As long as you are taking one step forward every day and not giving up on yourself. Then its okay to fall. Just get back up and try again. That its okay to ask for help if you cant handle your life. That counselling is a must to get you on the right track especially if you have gone through some heavy heavy stuff, trauma that you just cant let go.

I would tell people put your mind on positive thinking, read positive books that have affirmations and ways through inner hurt. I would tell people find a group of people that accept you for you, and who you can be yourself with no matter what insecurities or baggage you are carrying. People who can just steer you in the right direction when you are lacking a compass. For myself that has been the nutters club nz on facebook and other such organisations on facebook. Real life savers. Hearing others experiences with mental illness and knowing where they are now you can pick up skills that help you fight through. Believe me its a fight. But sooner or later your either going to give up the fight altogether or you are going to struggle and push and prodd until you get what you are after someone to listen, therapy that helps you get out of being stuck. When you do that when you see clarity you see that life can get better. Its already better, you are seeing when you were in the fog before. I was blind but now I see! when you see you know you still have a purpose you still have a life thats worth fighting for. Theres things that you havent done, that you want to do before you leave this earth. When you hit that moment of clarity theres nothing better!

On that positive note I am going to go off and carry on with my mental wellness plan including tidying up my surroundings, and making my life more pleasant.

Take care Bloggers I wanna hear what you think
write feedback if you like let me know what you think about my blogs

Cheers Tash

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tasha - loving your posts and thank you for allowing me share your journey.

    One of my very strong beliefs is that we are all on this earth for a reason, that we all have a purpose and when we find that purpose it adds an amazing new dimension to our lives. For me it felt like that little part of me that had been missing had been filled and I feel complete. Jenny Smith

    Taking your life experiences and using them to help others in what we may see as some seemingly small way can have an impact on the lives of others that we may never know.

    As you continue on this path you are peeling off the layers to discover who you really are and being totally congruent with that you. Much love and big hugs from me to you.

    ReplyDelete